That’s how long this table trough needed to be.
Sure, I could have decided to build this as separate pieces to be placed end to end on the table, creating an illusion of a 7 foot long table trough… but that would have been easier.
Projects like this call for barnwood, and that means my wood collecting efforts are not in vain. (Giant woodpile in back yard- justified.)
But wait, back it up. I actually used one new board.
I wanted the bottom (base) to be solid and flat, and in one continuous 7 foot long piece.
Here’s a shot of what the board measures:
After picking up a brand new board, I tried to forgive myself for not going 100% reclaimed on this one, and I got to work.
First order of business was to stain it so it matched the old wood.
I made this little collage to show you that I used Minwax Classic Gray and Dark Walnut:
Then, because I like to do things backwards, I beveled the edges on my table saw after I stained it.
This type of cut along the edges give the sides their open angle when I attach them.
(I actually had to take it apart to show you this cut.)
Now the good stuff. I cleaned some old boards I had with a wire brush first, and then a damp rag.
More often than not, old boards like this will have some splitting going on. In that case, I always glue and clamp along the split and cut only after the glue is dry.
I end up with more usable length, and I waste less wood.
When glue was dry on some of these old boards, I ran them through my table saw to get thinner strips. I wanted the sides of the trough to look a little bit “pieced together”.
I traced and cut a shape to work as the end pieces (handles) and two stabilizer pieces in the middle.
The making of the handles is best described in the following picture montage:
Basically, that is how I avoid measuring things with numbers. Make the first two holes on top of each other, then flip them using the first hole as a maker for all subsequent holes.
(I am hoping really hard that this makes sense to anyone else besides me.)
I’m not done yet.
Here’s what came after those tiny holes:
I used a spade bit to drill out bigger holes from my tiny hole marks, used a jigsaw, then my Dremel.
(I made a total of 4 handles, but cut off the tops of the middle two handles later. You can see what they looked like before I cut them off in the next pic.)
I screwed the handles on from the bottom. I wanted the middle two pieces to stabilize the trough, but like I said, I ended up cutting off the tops of those two handles in the middle.
I also started laying out the pieces that would make up the sides.
Then, I stained the newly exposed edges to match the rest of the wood.
You can see how I attached the sides of the trough to the handles in the next pic (with old-fashioned nails):
(Jeez, this blog post feels long….)
Here’s how I attached the ends:
(I used more old fashioned nails.)
And then, it was done.
After that, I took pictures.
If you have any questions, ask away!
Share this Post