Nothing makes me feel smarter, than figuring out a better way to do something. On the flip-side, nothing makes me feel more stupider, either.
I have stood at my worktable for hours on end, picking and piecing teeny tiny scraps of wood together to make art. In fact, add up those hours, and we are talking weeks probably, maybe months! I’m not kidding. There is a chunk of my adult life that I’ll never get back. (Did you catch the part where I said this time was spent STANDING? That just hurts.) Count on me to find an easier way, after a considerable amount of time floats by. But hey- I should go easy on myself. I was busy piecing together and standing.
Anyhow, now that my intro is out of the way, I’ll move onto the photos. (That’s what we are all interested in anyway, right? That’s cool. I understand. Who has time to read my ramblings? Not me.)
First off, I started with some thin plywood, and some leftover scrap boards that I’d been kicking around.
I stained the first board dark walnut, the 2nd one classic gray (or grey), and painted one white.
When they were dry, I used Gorilla Wood Glue and clamped them to the plywood, using heavy objects.
I forgot to take a picture of the “using heavy objects” part, so instead I’ll show you the following one. This photo is BEFORE I glued them on. I did manage to straighten them on the plywood beforehand. The key was the plywood had to be bigger than the boards I glued on.
(There’s a reason for that… coming up in a sec.)
Ok, it’s been a sec. I used my table saw to cut strips. The edge of the plywood backing runs along my saw’s rip fence, creating a straight cut. I don’t necessarily worry about the top pieces all being the exact same lengths, because the saw will trim that off.
To change up my pattern, I took some thicker strips and cut them with the grain going the other direction, using my miter saw. The important part was keeping all pieces at 1 inch width, no matter which direction the grain was going. That way, when I moved on to gluing the strips on another piece of plywood, they all matched in width and I didn’t cry. The pics probably explain it better. Check them out, and I’ll be quiet for a moment….
I kept cutting. And cutting. (Still not as bad as standing and piecing together random sized scraps..)
Next, I glued them to another 1/8 inch section of plywood. (It’s super-thin, so at the end of the day, it’s okay that there are two layers of plywood under there.)
When the glue was dry, I ran the piece through my table saw, rotating after each cut to trim the edges.
Last of all, I measured and cut some scrap for a box frame, and used my RYOBI nail gun to finish it off.
And that was that. I wish I would’ve thought of all of this sooner, but oh well. Like I said: standing. Piecing. Tiny scraps.
Share this Post