At least, that’s the way I’ve got to look at it when it comes to my home remodel.
I am going after one space at a time, because in case it isn’t obvious, I’m NOT a professional.
My knowledge and experience is based on necessity. For example, the HVAC system in my house still runs fine, so I do not know much about HVAC systems. (Meaning when it stops running or a problem arises, then I will be learning all about HVAC systems.) But I did learn quite a bit about erosion control when we first moved in though, thanks to a small stream we have running through our yard… so there’s that.
One of my philosophies in life is to NOT do things at break-neck speed, so I will not be doing a full home reveal in a week. I’ll be taking an area by area, room by room approach at NON-break-your-neck speed.
(I plan on posting before pics and a video of my entire home soon for those two curious people out there.)
Having said all that, I’m going to move on to this window area.
Here’s a photo of the overall space, BEFORE I began working on it.
It is the window over my kitchen sink.
(If you are wondering about that rocky thing outside in our back yard, there used to be a big water feature, but that’s another story.)
I didn’t tear anything down or rip anything out. The changes aren’t earth shattering, but that’s ok. I can still sleep at night.
Here’s the summary pic of what I did for those who don’t want to read my commentary:
If you’re still with me, here’s a closer look at some of the things I changed:
(* I’ve got nothing to say about this ^ except, respect the 80’s.)
I’ll go ahead and point out that this is a picture window.
Meaning, it doesn’t open.
Just putting that out there.
I decided to replace the window tile with more salvaged wood to match my nook area desk.
I finished the wood exactly like I did the desktop.
Here’s a close up of the “after”:
This next photo shows what was going on above the window:
This was yet another
nightmare opportunity to face my fear of all things electrical. Don’t worry, I made it out alive.
I dissected an old light fixture, and used it’s parts to build my own version of a chandelier/pendant light.
(I was going for a sophisticated/industrial look.)
Here’s a super close up nighttime shot:
Next, was the area above the light.
I wanted to keep that space for a chalkboard.
I know… sigh, “another kitchen chalkboard”, but I’ve always wanted a chalkboard in my kitchen that nobody else could reach.
This is how that went down:
Break down of the ^^above^^ collage:
1) piece of thin plywood like in my Chalkboard Tags Tutorial.
2) some leftover DIY chalkboard paint (Chalkboard Paint Recipe)
3) spreading on DIY chalkboard paint
4) adding a thin frame to the chalkboard
5) using my new life-changing nailer to mount chalkboard
And there you go. A chalkboard I can reach when I drag a stool over to it.
Oh, and here is a photo of my hand writing out a chemical formula on my new chalkboard.
The last thing to do was add a pair of sconces to each side of the window.
This window didn’t have any trim around it and there isn’t much space for some, so I felt like waiting until I do the countertops to address that. (Since I’m thinking I’ll do a backsplash that continues up around the window.)
Here is the tutorial on the wall sconces.
That’s all for now, thanks for reading!
P.S. I learned that it’s very difficult for me to take a picture of a kitchen window. Sorry about the blur.
Share this Post