Hi there, this is the post about the painting technique for this art piece.
You can read about my inspiration for all the brick hullabaloo, and the overall project, HERE.
Did you know wood 2×3’s could look like brick?
I didn’t, so I decided to take a gamble. (But I totally acted like I knew what I was doing, when my husband was nearby…)
First of all, I wanted the bricks”to look like they had been around the block a time or two. I wanted some chipped brick vibes.
I used my trusty wire cutters? to chip away at the blocks.
I also mixed in some 1×3 blocks, for varying depths of brick.
(It got real messy.)
Then, I smoothed out the obvious.
Before staining, I wiped some white paint on them to help hide the grain a little.
I used Minwax Water-Based Stain in Terracotta.
The stain went on evenly, which made me happy. (Remember, I was gambling. Terracotta is a brick color, right?)
I did another layer to deepen the color, then “dabbed” the soaked paper towel to give texture lines. (See last picture in collage below.)
Next came the mounting of the bricks. (Details for this on link above/Faux Brick Wall Art post.)
After the bricks were mounted on the plywood, I used bunched up paper and some styrofoam to fill in the gaps between bricks.
Then I filled in with caulking, and covered the caulking with plaster of paris.
Plaster of paris worked great to give texture to the front of the bricks, too.
Next up, came the stenciling. I am excited about the possibility to change up the signage when I want, simply by sanding and re-staining. I won’t even have to remove the art piece from the wall.
When the stenciling was done, I painted several layers, and played around with colors. Mixing plaster of paris with the paint helps it distress easier. (Doesn’t really matter how much. I’d just add small handfuls of P.O.P. until I got a clumpy and dry texture.)
When it dried, I distressed with different objects. (Blade, wet rag, sandpaper, and a razor thingy.)
Having the Plaster of P. in the paints I used, made this part forgiving. I touched up if I took too much off.
My philosophy is: The longer you mess with paint and the more adding paint/taking paint away, the more realistic it looks. (That only applies to faux finishes, of course. Stuff that you’re trying to age on purpose.)
And that’s a wrap!
Thanks for reading.
Share this Post