It’s good to be among people who get you.
They know what it’s like to see beyond scratches, dents, and dust.
They know what it means to go to the trouble of saving something from certain demise, only to spend time cleaning, storing, and rebuilding it into something better.
I’m excited to share my project in this event that is highlighting projects from each one of us, and I’m honored to be included with such talent.
Most of all, I’m so dang happy, to be among friends who know Salvage Style.
I didn’t set out to find these concave mirrors on a sunday evening one year ago, but then I don’t ever set out to find anything.
Case in point… I was minding my own business on a sunday drive with a friend, when I ended up rescuing these from a heap of discarded industrial remains. I didn’t even know mirrors existeded inside a rail-road crossing sign.
(The kind of RR crossing sign with the two flashing red lights.)
I learn a lot when I come across industrial junk piles.
My main problem was obvious. (“How the heck do I hang these?”)
I didn’t want to completely frame them up. (Why hide the reverse-dome profile?)
I didn’t want to modify a plate hanger thingy, (I wanted to use wood.)
I didn’t want to drill any holes in them. (Hello?!)
Then an idea slowly materialized into my brain over the course of a year.
When I came up with my solution, I wondered if it would ever be useful to someone else out there.
(Strange train parts finders, like me.)
Truth be told, this display/frame design could work for a lot of different shaped items, equally random as my mirrored bowl-looking twins.
(Keep in mind measurement modifications are totally possible.)
After figuring out my mirrors were 12 inches across, 12 inches down, (it’s a circle Pauline)
I cut some wood scraps to measure 12 x 12 inches.
Next, I figured out the depth of my mirrors so I would know how far forward the claws had to reach.
(I lack a better term at the moment.)
I didn’t nail them yet, I wanted to do a dry run before I committed.
I did a miter cut to add to the claw. This created a lip to hold the mirror in place.
When I was sure my measurements would all work out, I glued and clamped the back plus sign looking part.
Then I cut a little slice to put on the ends of the claws. (I still don’t have a better word.)
Next, I glued and jerry-rigged a tape clamp.
(There’s better ways to do ^this^ , I’m sure.)
After the glue was dry on the arms (aka: claws),
I nailed three of the arms onto the “+“ part with my new best friend, nailer.
I only nailed three at that point because I had to slide the mirror in before I closed the frame up.
THEN I nailed on the last arm.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I did this to protect the back of the mirrors:
(That’s a felt pad stick-on thing ^^)
The last part was attaching some hardware to the back. I chose to place it in the center of the overall piece, because I had a feeling I wanted them to hang
in the X position, not the + position (a la Rail Road X-ing sign.)
And now there they hang, on my wall.
Here are some of my friends who have a gift for rescuing things and turning them into treasures. Click on their names below to match them up to their projects featured in this collage. And as always, thanks for reading! 🙂
A Special Thanks To Woodberry Designs for the Logo.
Share this Post
Holiday Mantel Ornament ArtNovember 30, 2016
DIY Holiday Stocking PostNovember 14, 2016
Do-It-Yourself Holiday Stocking Post WorkshopNovember 7, 2016
Spray Painted DresserNovember 5, 2016
Lets see what you have been up to. Link Up Your Salvage Style Project